- What data we collect
- How we get data about you
- What use we make of your data
- With whom we share your data
- Your rights
- Rules of jurisdiction
- Updates and contact
- What data we collect
We collect certain data that you provide to us directly, for example among the information that you enter yourself; data relating to your participation in the courses; and data from third-party platforms that you connect to through Udemy. Some data is also collected automatically, such as information about your device and the components of the Services with which you interact or use regularly.
1.1 The data you provide us
We may collect different data from or about you depending on how you use the Services. Here are a few examples to help you understand what data we collect.
When you create an account and use the Services, including through a third-party platform, we collect any data you provide to us directly, including:
|Account data||In order to use certain features (such as registering for a course), you must create a user account. When you create or update your account, we collect and store the data you provide to us, such as email address, password, phone number, occupation, skills, gender, origin, ethnicity, personal information. government identification, verification photo, age, date of birth and we will assign you a unique identification number (“Account Data”).|
|Profile Data||You can also choose to provide profile information, for example, photo, title, biography, language, link to a website, profiles on different social networks, countries or other data. Your Profile Data is visible to everyone.|
|Shared content||Certain components of the Services allow you to interact with other users or to share content publicly, including posting notices on a course page, asking or responding to questions, sending messages to participants or trainers, posting photos or uploading any other content to the platform. Said shared content may be visible to anyone depending on where it is posted.|
|Course data||When you register for and take courses, we collect certain data, in particular relating to the courses, exercises and quizzes that you have started and completed; your exchanges with trainers, teaching assistants and other participants; and essays, answers to questions and other material provided in a course.|
|Participant payment data||We collect certain data about your purchases on Udemy, such as your name and postal code, so that we can process your order. You must provide certain billing and payment data directly to our payment processing partners, including your name, credit card information, billing address, and postal code.|
For security reasons, Ali Aademy does not collect or store sensitive credit card data such as full credit card numbers or data from authorization requests associated with certain credit card transactions.
|Data relating to your accounts on other services||We may obtain certain information through your social media accounts or other online accounts if they are logged into your Alicheckout account. If you log into the AA site through Facebook, or a third-party service or platform, we ask for your permission to access certain information relating to that other account. For example, depending on the platform or service, we may collect your name, profile picture, account ID number, login email address, location, geographic location of the devices you use to access it, your gender, your date of birth and a list of your friends or contacts. These platforms and services give us access to this information through their APIs. The information we receive depends on what you (through your privacy settings) or platform or service choose to give to us. Whether you access or use the Services through any platform or a third party service, or click on any third party link, the collection, use and sharing of your data will also be subject to the privacy policies and other agreements of the relevant third parties.|
Lotteries, promotions and surveys
The data listed above is collected through server log files and tracking technologies, as detailed in the section below entitled “Cookies and Data Collection Tools”. They are stored with us and associated with your account.
2. How we get data about you
We use tools such as cookies, web beacons, analytics services, and advertising services to collect the data listed above. For some of these tools, you have the option to opt out of data collection.
2.1 Cookies and Data Collection Tools
Cookies are small files that websites send to your device to uniquely identify your browser or device, or to save data in your browser. We use them, for example, to analyze your use of the Services, to personalize your experience, to simplify your connection to the Services and to recognize you from one session to another. Web beacons are small objects that allow us to analyze the actions of visitors and users using the Services. We use them, for example, to determine whether a page has been viewed and whether an email has been opened, to better target our advertising content by excluding our current users from certain promotional messages, or to identify the source of a new download of the mobile application.
Alicheckout uses the following types of cookies:
- Preferences: to store data relating to your browser and your settings that affect the appearance and behavior of the Services (such as the language chosen).
- Security cookies: to allow you to log in and access the Services, to protect you from fraudulent login attempts and to detect and prevent misuse or unauthorized use of your account.
- Functional cookies: to memorize functional parameters (such as sound volume for video playback).
- Session state cookies: to track your interactions with the Services so that we can improve the Services and your browsing experience, remember your login credentials and process your course purchases.
You can configure your web browser to be alerted when attempts are made to save cookies on your computer, to restrict the types of cookies allowed or to refuse all cookies. If you disable cookies, you may no longer be able to use some or all of the features of the Services and this may change your experience or make it less functional.
Some of the third party partners providing certain functionality on our site also use local storage objects (also known as flash cookies, local shared objects, or LSOs) to collect and store data.
2.2. Analysis services
We use third-party browser and mobile device analysis services such as Google Analytics, Hotjar and Intercom for the Services. These services use Data Collection Tools to help us analyze your use of the Services. They allow us, for example, to know which third-party website you come from, how often you visit our site, from which device you have downloaded the application, but also to know your events within the Services, as well as your data. use and performance. We use this data to improve the Services, to better understand the performance of the Services on different devices and to offer you content that may be of interest to you.
2.3 Online advertising
We use third-party advertising services such as Taboola, Facebook, Google Ad Services, and other ad networks and servers to promote our Services on other websites and applications that you visit and use. These advertisements may be targeted based on what we know about you, for example based on your Usage Data and System Data (as described in Section 1), and what these advertising service providers know about you from their tracking data. These advertisements may be based on your recent activity or your activity over a longer period of time and on other sites and services, and may be tailored to your interests.
Depending on the types of advertising services we use, they may place cookies or other tracking technologies on your computer, phone or other device to collect data about your use of our Services, and to access these technologies of tracking to provide you with personalized ads. In order to deliver targeted advertising to you, we may provide these service providers with a hashed, anonymized version of your email address (in a non-human readable form), as well as content that you share publicly on the Services.
When using mobile apps, you may also receive personalized, in-app advertisements. Apple iOS, Android OS, and Microsoft Windows each provide their own instructions on how to handle targeted in-app ads. For other devices and operating systems, we recommend that you check your privacy settings or contact your platform operator.
3. What use we make of your data
We use your data to provide the Services to you, communicate with you, troubleshoot problems, protect your account from fraud and abuse, improve and update the Services, analyze your use of the Services, provide targeted advertising, and for any purpose required by law or necessary for reasons of security and integrity.
We use the data we collect as part of your use of the Services to:
- provide and administer the Services, including posting personalized content and facilitating communication with other users;
- process your requests and orders relating to specific courses, products, services, requests for information or features;
- communicating with you about your account, which involves:
- to answer your questions and concerns;
- send you administrative messages and information, including messages from instructors and teaching assistants, notifications related to changes to the Services, and updates to our contracts;
- to keep you informed, by email or message, of your progress in the courses, our rewards programs, our new services, our new features, our promotions, our newsletters and other courses available (you can unsubscribe from these communications at any time);
- send you push notifications on your wireless device to notify you of updates and other relevant messages (you can manage these notifications in your mobile app preferences);
- manage your account preferences;
- simplify the technical operation of the Services, which involves, among other things, troubleshooting and resolving problems, securing the Services and protecting against fraud and abuse;
- encourage users to provide feedback;
- market and administer surveys and promotions administered or sponsored by Udemy;
- learn more about you by combining your data with other data from third party data providers or by analyzing the data with the help of analytics service providers;
- identify unique users across all devices;
- target ads across all devices;
- improve the Services and design new products, services and features;
- analyze trends and traffic, track purchases and track usage data;
- promote the Services on third party websites and applications;
- anything that is required or permitted by law;
- or anything that we, in our sole discretion, determine as necessary to ensure the safety or integrity of our users, employees, third parties, the public or the Services.
4. With whom we share your data
We share certain data about you with trainers, other participants, companies providing services for us, Alicheckout affiliates, our business partners, data analysis and enrichment service providers, your social media providers. , companies helping us to conduct promotional campaigns and surveys, and advertising companies helping us to promote our Services. We may also share your data as needed for security or law enforcement purposes, or as part of a business restructuring. Finally, we may share your data in other ways if this data is aggregated or anonymized or if we obtain your consent.
- With your trainers: We share certain data that we have about you (except your email address) with the trainers or teaching assistants of the courses for which you are registering or about which you are requesting information, so that ‘they can improve their lessons. This data includes, but is not limited to, your city, country, browser language, operating system, device settings, the site that referred you to Alicheckout, and your activities on Alicheckout. If we collect other data about you (such as your age or gender), we may share that as well. We will not share your email address with trainers and teaching assistants. Additionally, we allow our instructors to use Google Analytics on their course pages in order to analyze incoming traffic and optimize their pages.
- With other participants and trainers: Depending on the settings you choose, your shared content and profile data may be publicly visible, including to other participants and trainers. Likewise, if you ask a trainer or teaching assistant a question, your information (including your name) may be visible to other users.
- With service providers, contractors and agents: We share your data with third-party companies that provide services on our behalf, such as processing settlements, protecting against abuse and fraud, analyzing data, marketing and advertising services (including retargeting), messaging and hosting services, and customer support and services. These service providers may access your personal data and are required to use it only as directed by us and for the purposes of our service request.
- With Alicheckout Affiliates: We may share your data within our family of companies that are related by common ownership or control to enable or assist us in providing the Services.
- With Business Partners: We have entered into agreements with other websites and platforms to distribute our Services and drive traffic to Alicheckout. For example, we work with Benesse in Japan. Depending on where you are located, we may share your data with these partners.
- With data analytics and enrichment service providers: As part of our use of third-party analytics tools like Google Analytics and data enrichment services like Clearbit, we share certain contact details, Account Data , System Data and Usage Data (as detailed in Section 1), or anonymized data where applicable. Data anonymization involves replacing personally identifiable information, such as your name and email address, with an identity token. This allows service providers to provide analytics services or cross-check your data with information from a public database (including contact details and social information from other sources). We do this to communicate with you in a more efficient and personalized way.
- To administer promotional campaigns and surveys: we may share your data as necessary to administer, market or sponsor the promotions and surveys in which you choose to participate, as required by applicable law (for example, to provide a listing of the winners or to make all required deposits), or in accordance with the rules of the relevant promotion or survey.
- For Advertising Purposes: In the event that we decide in the future to offer advertising space, we may use and share some of your System Data and Usage Data with third party networks and advertisers in order to present general trends in demographics and preferences among our users. We may also allow advertisers to collect System Data using Data Collection Tools (as detailed in Section 2.1) and use that data to deliver targeted advertising to you to personalize your user experience (eg. through behavioral advertising) and to analyze a website’s audience. Advertisers may also share the data they have collected about you with us. For more information on this or to opt out of behavioral advertising from ad networks, see Section 6.1 (Your Choices Regarding Use of Your Data) below. Opt-out only concerns targeted advertisements; you will continue to receive generic advertisements.
- For security and law enforcement purposes: We may disclose your data to third parties if we, in our sole discretion, have reason to believe that such disclosure is:
- authorized or required by law;
- requested in the course of a judicial, governmental or legal investigation, order or proceeding;
- reasonably necessary in connection with a subpoena, warrant or other legally valid request;
- required to detect, prevent or combat fraud, abuse, embezzlement, potential violations of the law (or of a regulation or regulation) or security or technical problems;
- or reasonably necessary (in our discretion) for the protection of an imminent threat to the rights, property, or safety of Alicheckout, our users, our employees, members of the general public or our Services.
- Upon a change of control: If Alicheckout becomes the subject of a business transaction such as a merger, acquisition, corporate termination or dissolution (including bankruptcy) or a total or partial sale of its assets, we may share, disclose or transfer all of your data to the successor organization of Alicheckout as part of this transition or in anticipation of a transition (including during the due diligence).
- After aggregation or anonymization: we may disclose or use the aggregated or anonymized data for any purpose.
We use appropriate security features, based on the type and sensitivity of the data that is stored. As with any system connected to the Internet, there is always a risk of unauthorized access; It is therefore important that you protect your password and that you contact us in the event of suspicious activity on your account.
Alicheckout applies appropriate security measures to prevent unauthorized third parties from accessing, modifying, disclosing or destroying personal data that we collect and store about you. These measurements depend on the type and sensitivity of said data. Unfortunately, no system can be 100% secure and therefore we cannot guarantee that no third party will have unauthorized access to communications between you and Udemy, the Services or any information provided to us in connection with it. with the data we collect through the Services. Your password plays a vital role in our security system and it is your responsibility to protect it. Do not share your password with any third party. If you believe your password or account has been compromised, you should immediately change your password and contact our support team to let us know about your concerns.
6. Your rights
You have certain rights regarding the use of your data. In particular, you can unsubscribe from promotional emails, disable cookies and refuse to allow certain analytics service providers to collect data about you. You can update or close your account through our Services, and you can additionally contact us with any individual rights request relating to your personal data. Parents who believe that we have unintentionally collected personal data from their minor child should contact us so that we can delete this information.
7. Rules of jurisdiction
If you are located in California, you have certain rights to access and delete your data and have the right to know with whom we share your data. If you reside in Australia, you have the right to lodge a formal complaint with the relevant government agency. We remind users who reside outside of the United States that we transfer data to the United States and other areas outside the European Economic Area.
8. Update and Contact
If there is a material change to this policy, we will notify our users by email, in-product notification, or any other mechanism required by law. The changes take effect on the day of their publication. Contact us by email or post if you have any questions, concerns or disputes.
What are cookies ?
Cookies are small text files stored by your browser when you browse the Internet. They can be used to collect, store and share data about your activities on the various websites you visit, including Alicheckout. Cookies also allow us to remember certain aspects of your sessions on Alicheckout, such as the choice of your language, and to simplify your use of the site.
We use both session cookies, which expire after a short time or when you close your browser, and persistent cookies, which remain stored in your browser for a specified period. We use session cookies to identify you during unique browsing sessions, for example when you log into Udemy. We use persistent cookies when we need to identify you over a long period of time, for example when you ask to stay logged in.